The Vances

The Vances
The crew

Monday, April 27, 2009

Old Stomping Grounds

Last weekend we were at a wedding in Santa Rosa, California and the suggestion was made that instead of going to church in a ward where we knew no one, that we should get up early and drive to Sacramento to attend the ward where I grew up.  It was soooo much fun.  I walked in just as Bishop Newey (my old seminary teacher) was welcoming the visitors.  It was so fun to see him up there, the big, important bishop.  We visited with a lot of old friends after sacrament meeting and then went around to see a few places in town.   

First we stopped at my old house.  I showed the kids around the back yard where we had a pool, basketball court, swing set, trampoline, etc.  The kids kept saying,  "Whoa, you had a pool."  Well, everyone in Sacramento has a pool right?  Next we went to my elementary school.  That wasn't so exciting, but it gave them a place to picture when I tell them my stories of when I was a younger girl.  

The fun began when we went to my junior high, Pasteur.  I showed them the gym where I played basketball and volleyball.  I showed them the path where we would do a run around the perimeter of the school and I always beat all the girls in the school (and sometimes a lot of the boys.)  I showed them where I used to practice routines with the drill team.  I showed them the little court where we would eat lunch with our friend Danny who was in a wheelchair.  It was a blast.  
Then we drove around the corner to Casa Robles H. S.  First I had to show Richard the track.  He couldn't get over how it was a dirt track.  He didn't know those really existed anymore.  Somehow we managed to run on something other than an all-weather track.  He kept saying things like, "You couldn't have worn spikes on this?" Yes Richard, we wore spikes.  "How did you not sprain your ankles with all the uneven parts?"  I guess we were just lucky.  "How in the world did the hurdlers three step in this dirt?"  Mmm, I dunno.  They probably weren't  good enough to three step.  

As we walked around the school I showed them the pool where I was a life guard and swimming teacher for three summers.  I showed them some of my old classrooms.  I showed them the uneven pavement where I tripped and fell my freshmen year and was teased for having all my books scattered all around.  I showed them the band room where I played the flute and the yearbook room where I spent way too much time.  

I was so glad we had made the sacrifice to go back to my old stomping grounds.  It was so much fun to share all of those memories with my family.

2 comments:

The Eight Family said...

Sounds like a fun trip down memory lane.

Carrie Ann said...

Whenever I go to St. Louis or Massachusetts I have to go and see the old sites. I love to reminisce. I'm glad you took the kids.