A couple of Saturdays ago I had a TERRIBLE mothering day. I am pretty sure that from noon on I didn't have anything nice to say to anyone and I was just hurting my children's feelings right and left. After they were in bed and I had time to reflect on the day I realized just how awful and unkind I had been and then I had a meltdown. I had so much stress and anxiety built up and felt like I was running around crazy all of the time. It was pretty dramatic and I am so grateful to Dad for listening to me as I went on and on.
By midnight I still couldn't sleep so I go up and decided to read my scriptures. I came across a fantastic chapter where Alma and his people are being persecuted and given heavy burdens. The words that touched me were, "...be of good comfort," and "...the Lord did strengthen them that they could bear up their burdens with ease." (Mosiah 24:13-15.)
After reading I started writing things in my journal, ways that I needed to change and slow my life down. I wrote about nine things and then at the very end I had the distinct impression to quit my job. I had kept working after Richard got his new job, just to earn some extra spending cash. At that moment I realized that working when I didn't need to was not good for my family.
After making that decision I had ideas come to my mind of what I could do to build my relationship with each of my children individually. I appreciated the impressions so much. I knew that the Lord was trying to guide and help me.
I am happy to report that life has slowed down so much for me and I am feeling a lot more peaceful and happy since making those changes that I had written in my journal. I am so thankful for personal revelation and a loving Heavenly Father that guides and strengthens me.
The Vances
The crew
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Thank you for posting this!! As mothers we sometimes wonder if we're the only ones who have bad mothering days! And more often then not, I lay in bed wondering how I could've handled certain events better that day! I love the entire book of Alma especially that scripture! My blessing mentions that I'll "bear the burdens of others throughout my life"...I used to feel overwhelmed by this "blessing" but now I love this challenge! You've made the right decision for your family and I know you'll be truely blessed for it!! :-D
I love those moments in life when we are directed by the spirit. Thank you for sharing.
Post a Comment